The local library was inaugurated on April 8, 1907, at its first site in "Kontzeju Zaharra". He remained there until 1939, but the building was destroyed during the war and the library moved to the first floor of the Town Hall in Unzaga, next to the courthouse, until 1960.
In 1961 the library was moved to the ground floor of the town hall with the entrance in Toribio Etxerria Street, remaining at that location until 1996. The library had a single room with space for 54 people, in which adults got along with children.
In 1996, the rehabilitation works of the former AYA (Aguirre y Aranzabal) weapons factory was completed. The building was intended for cultural and administrative activities, to be called House of culture of Portalea. The central use of the first floor of the building is already the library in 1996.
In 2007, it was made bigger and currently it is about 1,200 m2, divided into the area of reception, room for adults, children's room, library, multi-purpose hall, room local collection and deposits and offices for staff.
of the body that manages the library is to make it a meeting place offering a quality service to citizens in the librarian field by encouraging reading, lifelong learning and cultural diffusion, as well as facilitate the study and research of the local fund which preserves, and be a centre of access to information technologies.
Fund reserve, local Fund, monographs, magazines and newspapers, DVDs, CDs and CD-ROMs. Self-learning of languages Fund. In total, 76.700 documents.